The ONLY Breakfast Casserole Recipe you will ever need.
It’s easy, delicious, and fool proof! And who doesn’t love Breakfast Casserole? It’s one of those things I’ve been making for years, and quite honestly, will continue to make forever and always.
Loaded with breakfast sausage, onion, garlic, sourdough bread, creamy eggs, and cheddar cheese. Its a classic recipe with seriously amazing flavor. Most definitely a back pocket recipe.
The best part?
It can be made ahead and simply popped in the oven the next morning. Enjoy with friends on the weekend or family during the holidays!
Make-Ahead breakfasts during the holidays are my saving grace! All you have to do is set aside about 20-30 minutes the night before, and voila! The next morning is a breeze. You’ll have a delicious breakfast casserole baking away in the oven making the house smell like a dream! AND you can fully embrace and enjoy the morning with your family.
Sit back and sip on your coffee and you can thank me later.
This easy Breakfast Casserole recipe has been my go-to for YEARS. I’ve made it countless times for family gatherings, lake weekends, vacations at the beach, bachelorette parties, brunch parties at home, you name it. It’s just easy, delicious, and always a hit.
I hope you love it! And as always, if you do, please leave a review, share on instagram, or send me a picture! Always love hearing feedback and seeing pictures. After all, food is my love language.
TRY THESE MAKE AHEAD BREAKFASTS NEXT!Print
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 4 slices sourdough bread, roughly torn into 1-2 inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 8 eggs
- 2 1/2 c whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- To make the sausage mixture: Heat a few T olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of your spoon until crumbled and fully cooked through.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground mustard, and red pepper flakes. Cook another 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent and spices fragrant. Remove from heat; set aside.
- For the eggs: whisk together eggs, milk, and season with a little salt and pepper; set aside.
- To assemble: Arrange sourdough bread along the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 in casserole dish. Top with sausage mixture then cheese. Pour whisked egg mixture on top, and using a fork, press into the top of the casserole so that everything is in an even layer. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- To bake: Remove casserole from the fridge and let sit out while you pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden and bubbling. Slice and serve!!
Keywords: breakfast casserole, easy breakfast casserole