Who doesn’t love waking up to the smell of bacon and eggs? I mean, that is the smell of straight up happiness if you ask me. Crispy pieces of bacon, creamy eggs, and spinach make this Bacon & Spinach Frittata a one-pan wonder.
I love making frittata’s because they are healthy, super easy, budget friendly, and great for entertaining! They are also delicious re-heated, so I will often prepare one on Sunday and simply heat up a slice on those hectic mornings.
First, pre-heat your broiler. Then, over medium-high heat, sauté the bacon pieces, diced onion, and garlic in a well-oiled skillet until the bacon is cooked and onion is translucent. Throw in a few large handfuls of fresh spinach (you don’t need to measure this out unless you absolutely can’t help yourself); sauté until spinach is wilted.
Now it’s time to add the eggs. Be sure to generously season them with salt and pepper before adding to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, pour in the eggs, and gently swirl the pan to evenly distribute the eggs into the skillet. After about 1 minute, sprinkle in the cheese, and gently place sliced tomatoes on top. Continue to cook on the stove top for another 6 minutes. Move skillet under the broiler for 2-4 minutes, time depends on the depth of your skillet and your oven. Broil until top is golden brown, but do NOT over cook! Keep in mind, your eggs will continue to cook even when you remove from the oven, so it’s better to be safe than sorry. We’re going for a custard-like texture here… avoid spongy at all cost!
I like to serve my frittatas with a side of fresh fruit and greens. It’s such a perfectly balanced meal, and will leave you satisfied but not overly stuffed!
Bacon &Spinach Frittata
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 c whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- A few large handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 c gruyere and swiss shredded cheese blend (Trader Joe’s has a great blend)
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- Preheat your broiler.
- Combine eggs, milk and spices in a mixing bowl; whisk until creamy and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chopped bacon, onion, and garlic. Saute until bacon is cooked and onion is translucent.
- Throw in a few large handfuls of chopped fresh spinach, and cook until wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium, and pour egg mixture into skillet. Swirl the skillet to evenly distribute into the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute, then sprinkle in the cheese and gently place tomatoes on top. Allow to cook on the stove top for another 5-6 minutes.
- Move skillet to broiler for 2-4 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Serve with a side of greens and fresh fruit.