Our current obsession? These 20 Minute Greek Chicken Bowls. I know you are going to absolutely love them too!
I mean, heck, if there’s something that can be made in 20 minutes or less and tastes like a dream, then yes. Absolutely, yes I’m in.
I’ve always loved greek food. Warm pita, hummus, and a plate of olives? Okayyyy, mmm hmm that sounds nice.
These bowls are great for busy weeknights because the toppings can either be prepped ahead of time or quickly chopped up just before serving. I like to pan sear my chicken because it only takes 10-15 minutes and creates a really nice char and flavor.
I also like to make my own tzatziki because it’s only a few ingredients (ingredients we’ll already have out anyway) and a little more fresh, but there are so many great store-bought options these days, so no judgement here.
If you do decide to make your own, this can be made a day or two before and simply stored in the fridge for the week. Win win!
Ready to get these 20 minute greek chicken bowls on the table?
Here is what I recommend!
- place chicken in a large ziplock bag first with olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper. Set Aside. *If you have time, prepare the chicken earlier in the day and let it marinate in the ziplock bag in the fridge for a bit.
- Get all toppings/bowl ingredients out and ready to chop (we’ll chop when the chicken is cooking)
- Now add a few T oil to a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes per side, until juices run clear and chicken is cooked. *time all depends on the thickness of your chicken. If your chicken breasts are on the thinner side, cook for less time.
- While chicken is cooking, chop up all toppings, warm up the rice and get your bowls out–we’re almost finished!
- When the chicken is done, wrap it in foil and let it rest for just a few minutes or so while you assemble the bowls!
- Spread rice onto the bottom of each bowl, followed by red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and feta.
- Dice up the chicken and add to the bowls.
- Top it all off with tzatziki, fresh dill, and a lemon wedge.
OTHER EASY RECIPES TO TRY!
- 5 INGREDIENT CHICKEN SAUSAGE ORZO SKILLET
- HEALTHY 30 MINUTE CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND VEGGIE SHEETPAN
- PAN SEARED SALMON
20 Minute Greek Chicken Bowls
- Yield: 2 1x
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (on the smaller side)
- 2 T olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt + pepper, to taste
For the bowls:
- 1 packet of brown rice (can also sub quinoa, jasmine rice, couscous, etc)
- 2/3 c cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2/3 c cucumber, quartered
- 1/2 c red onion, sliced
- 1/2 c kalamata olives
- 1/2 c crumbled feta, more to taste
- Homemade or store-bought tzatziki
- Fresh dill, as garnish
- Lemon wedge, for serving
- Toasted pita bread, for serving
- Add chicken to a large ziplock bag with olive oil, zest and juice of lemon, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; give it a shake and set aside. *see notes
- Heat few T oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes per side, until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink. When chicken is finished, wrap in foil for a few minutes while you finish prepping the bowls.
- While chicken is cooking, prep your toppings! Chop it all up, warm up the rice, toast the pita, etc. That way, when chicken is done, we’re ready to assemble!
- Assemble the bowls by spreading rice along the bottom of two bowls, followed by tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, and feta. Now dice up the chicken and add it in.
- Top it all off with tzatziki, dill, freshly cracked pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and lemon. Enjoy!!!
*If you have time earlier in the day to add chicken to the ziplock bag with marinade ingredients, please do so! The longer it marinates the better, but not absolutely necessary.