Everyone loves a crispy taquito dunked in a creamy, zesty sauce, am I right?! I’m also pretty positive we all love when a meal comes together in under 30 minutes. Woo Hoo!
I try to utilize my slow cooker whenever possible because it saves me time and is so so easy, especially if you’re working a full time job or busy running your kids around town all day. Once your chicken is cooked and shredded, i’m talkin’ only 10 minutes of prep needed. The best part is these taquitos can be served as an appetizer or for dinner. They are most definitely a healthier version of the deep fried taquitos we all know and love, however, I can assure you they are just as delicious!
They do have a kick, so feel free to adjust the amount of chipotle if you don’t want it as spicy. The Chipotle lime crema provides the perfect creamy balance, so I highly recommend whipping that up alongside these taquitos. Yum to the yum.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, shredded
- 3-4 T Chipotle Paste *See note (Or Adobo Sauce from can of Chipotle Chiles in Adobo)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of ½ lime + wedges for serving
- 14-16 corn or flour tortillas (Corn tortillas are more delicate and may crack, but they are delicious either way)
- ¾ c mexican crema
- Queso Fresco
- Optional Toppings: Cilantro, Jalepenos, Queso Fresco, Chipotle Lime Crema
- Chipotle Lime Crema:
- ¾ c Mexican Crema (can sub Greek Yogurt for a lighter option)
- 1-2 tsp chipotle paste (depending on how spicy you like it)
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- dash of water, if needed
- Combine chicken, broth, chipotle paste, lime juice, garlic, and spices in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Shred chicken using two forks and place back in slow cooker until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a large baking sheet
- Stack up tortillas and wrap with a dish towel; heat up tortillas for 20-30 seconds before filling them up to prevent them from breaking.
- Line up tortillas and fill each one with shredded chicken mixture, shredded cheese, and a drizzle of mexican crema. Roll up tightly and place onto baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray and bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- For the crema, combine all ingredients together in a bowl and whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Option to serve with Mexican Street Corn (see recipe).