Let me tell ya somethin’ good- This Spicy Italian Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup is a one-pot wonder and your new BFF and my current obsession. I will admit that I probably have way too many favorite things, but that’s because I love life and I love food. Especially Italian food.
Majority of the time, my most favorite recipes come to life when I don’t have an exact plan in mind.. more of a general idea. I love pulling things out of my fridge and seeing what I can come up with. It almost stresses me out more to plan it out because there are way too many delicious things out there. That’s a big thing i’d love to pass on to you babes because it’s actually very relaxing and fun. You can so do it.
This soup calls for spicy Italian sausage, however, feel free to sub in a more mild sausage if you prefer. The spiciness adds the perfect amount of kick to warm you up, but not enough to make you sweat. The recipe also calls for heavy cream, however, if you want to go on the lighter side, it’s delicious with or without. All depends on if you desire the extra creaminess. 🙂
Soups usually require quite a bit of time to let all the flavors meld together but this one is quick and easy.. made in one pot and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Might I also add, it will be a new family favorite. I can promise you that.
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 lb bulk spicy italian sausage
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 5 c chicken broth
- 3– 15 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 10 oz spinach tortellini
- 4–5 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 c heavy cream (optional)
- Fresh Parmesan for topping
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, bring down to medium and add the italian sausage. Cook the sausage, continuing to break up until cooked all the way through.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot, and saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and spices to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add tortellini, spinach, and heavy cream, and stir to combine. Cover and let simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with Fresh Parmesan.
- Cuisine: Italian