Mexican-Style Chicken Soups are definitely one of my favorite soups to make because they are easy to whip up, extremely flavorful, and loaded with delicious toppings. The additional toppings are a total bonus in my opinion. This Green Chile Chicken Posole is definitely a new family fave.
THIS POST CONTAINS AN AFFILIATE LINK FOR THE CUISINART SMART STICK HAND BLENDER WHICH IS TOTALLY AMAZE.
Posole is a mexican-style spiced broth & hominy soup that’s served with a variety of toppings. I decided to use fire roasted hatch chiles because I had thrown a bunch in my freezer during Hatch Chile Fest last month. This entire soup can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes and is great for beginner chef’s (i.e. my sister).
Simply heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot. When the oil is hot, add onion, garlic, and chiles; saute for 5-6 minutes. Pour in chicken stock and stir in spices. The stock mixture now needs to be blended up into a smooth consistency. I recommend using a stick blender for this part, however, you can use your standard blender or food processor as well. Transfer mixture back to stock pot, and add chicken, hominy, and lime juice. Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes if you have the time. If not, dish up into individual bowls and serve with desired toppings.
It’s such a warm and cozy meal, and perfect for those busy nights. It re-heats really well, too, just make sure to store the toppings separately. Enjoy!!
- 1 lb shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 6 c chicken stock
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 large roasted hatch green chiles, seeds removed, diced (equivalent to about an 8 oz can diced green chiles)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 T cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1– 28 oz can white hominy (Pozole)
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges for serving
- Toppings: chopped cabbage, avocado, radishes, crema, sliced jalapeno’s, chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and chiles, to the stock pot; saute for 5-6 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add in chicken stock and spices; stir to combine.
- Transfer soup mixture to a blender or use a hand blender to blend into a smooth consistency.
- Transfer back to pot, add chicken, hominy and lime juice, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with any of your desired toppings!