Hi there, enchilada lover. When I woke up this morning, it dawned on me that you needed the recipe for these Green Chile Chicken Enchi’s in your life, like yesterday.
Enchiladas have always been one of my go-to’s for busy weeknights because they are so simple and always satisfying. I typically put the chicken in the crockpot when I head out to work, so it’s perfectly tender and ready to shred when I get home.
If you like anything green Chile related, then you’re in the right spot. These are filled with chicken, kale, sour cream (can sub greek yogurt if you’d prefer), jalapeño, spices, cheese (duh), enchilada sauce, and lime juice. SO easy, cheesy, creamy, and remarkably yum. I would absolutely make them again tomorrow.
I take every opportunity to prep ahead of time if the meal allows. People often ask me how I have time to cook as much as I do, and to be honest, i’m not exactly sure! But one helpful tipp is to prepare anything you can ahead of time- it helps SO much. For this very reason, I have become really good friends with my crockpot. A meal that would normally take 45 minutes-1 hour to prepare, might just take you 20-25 minutes.
These enchiladas are especially simple if your chicken is already shredded and ready to go. You could even bake the chicken the night before and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I’ve found frozen chopped kale to be extremely helpful because it’s already cooked, and there’s no need to dirty another pan sauteing fresh kale. Just toss it right in the bowl and you’re good.
Alessandro has already told me he wants this again, which is always a good sign.
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, shredded (1 rotisserie chicken would work also)
- 1 c sauteed/steamed kale (frozen chopped kale is a great go -to)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 28 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
- ½ tsp Salt
- ⅓ c mexican shredded cheese
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 12 flour tortillas
- ½ c light sour cream
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 jalepenos, for topping
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for topping
- 2 green onions, for topping
- Mexican crema, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease large casserole dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, sour cream, kale, 1 jalepeno seeds removed and chopped, all spices, half of the enchilada sauce, green chile's, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Ladle a thin layer of green chili enchilada sauce into the bottom of your baking dish.
- Spoon about ½ c of the filling into each tortilla followed by a few tablespoons of shredded cheese. Roll up and place seam side down into baking dish.
- Brush a little olive oil on the tops of the tortillas, and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Now ladle the remaining enchilada sauce all over the tops of the enchiladas, followed by the cheese; bake an additional 20-25 minutes, until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh cilantro, green onions, jalepenos, and mexican crema.