Hey guys! I’m back and ready to whip up some delicious treats.
This Easy Poblano Chili recipe is one of my all time favorites. It’s super quick and easy and is seriously loaded with flavor! My mother in law made this last week to bring to the chili cookoff at her office and she got second place! Woop Woop!! Next time we’ll shoot for first, but i’ll take it for now.
It has ground beef, italian sausage, and bacon, and a combination of yummy peppers… diced poblanos, jalepenos, and green bell peppers. We then tossed in lots of spices, some canned tomatoes and a whole can of beer. I typically like to use an Amber Ale (i.e Fat tire. Saint Arnold), but any beer will do the trick as we discovered last night when I had to use a good ole can of Bud Light since we didn’t have anything else on hand. Whoops! But for real, how easy is that? It’s made in one pot and will be on the dinner table in no time.
I love love love this chili recipe because it’s easy, healthy, and soooo yummy. And even more perfect for those chilly nights. I hope you love!!
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 Jalepeño pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1- 28 oz can san Marzano tomatoes
- 1- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c tomato paste
- 1 12 oz can of beer
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 T chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 T favorite hot sauce (tobasco, Franks red hot, cholula)
- Avocado, cilantro, & jalapeños for topping.
Stove Top Instructions:
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium high heat. Add sausage, ground beef and bacon; cook breaking up with the back of your spoon until no longer pink and fully cooked through. Drain any excess grease through a colander and then add back to the stock pot.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, Jalepeño pepper, poblano pepper, and sauté until peppers are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add all spices and toss to combine.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, hot sauce and beer. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and and let simmer on medium low for 20-30 minutes.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Select Saute function on your instant pot. When the screen reads ‘hot’ add a little olive oil, and the bacon, ground beef and sausage.
- Cook the meat, breaking up with the back of your spoon until fully cooked through and no longer pink. Drain any excess grease by carefully tilting the inner pot and using a large spoon to remove.
- Add onion, garlic, and peppers and cook another few minutes.
- Press cancel on the Instant pot. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, and spices; give it a good stir.
- Secure the lid and set the valve to “sealing”.
- Select chili function and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Release the steam by carefully moving the valve to “venting”; wait for all steam to release before opening the lid.
- Open the lid and stir in hot sauce.
- Serve in bowls with avocado, cilantro, and fresh Jalepenos.